Completed my first project

I am very pleased to say that I have finished my first project from a Victorian era knitting book, Siberian Cuffs from Miss Lambert’s My Knitting Book (1843) with modifications based on other Siberian Cuff patterns of the same era (see my previous post).  I am so glad I started with an ‘easy’ one because there were plenty of questions, research and challenges along the way.

To complete the cuffs, I first had to sew in a lot of ends.

Then, I soaked the cuff in Eucalan and wet blocked:

Then, I seamed the cast-on and cast-off edges:

And finally, I sewed the selvedges together so the cuff turned into a donut-shaped tube.  And the cuff is complete!

I’m not sure about the wearability of these Siberian Cuffs in modern times, although they could be used to cover the cold gap between sleeves and mittens during our cold Canadian winters (or for that matter, the freezing cold air conditioning in our hot Canadian summers).  I think these cuffs would be a great accessory for anyone who wears 1800s era costume on occasion.

Next time, I’ll be getting started with my second Victorian project from Miss Lambert’s My Knitting Book (1843) – ‘A Knitted Silk Cuff.’


3 thoughts on “Completed my first project

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: